There are five community cemeteries in Antrim: Meeting House Hill Cemetery, Center Cemetery, North Branch Cemetery, Over East Antrim Cemetery, Maplewood Cemetery and one family cemetery.
Today only two of them are used, the other four have been inactive for at least 100 years. Two of the cemeteries are in Antrim Center, one in North Branch, one in East Antrim, one on Route 202 just north of Antrim Village, and one on the Antrim-Hillsboro town line on Route 202.
Meeting House Hill Cemetery: The original cemetery is located on Meeting House Hill in Antrim Center. It was started prior to the town’s incorporation in 1777 and was used for about 50 years. Adjacent to the cemetery is the site of the first meetinghouse. To access the cemetery follow Rte 31 to Antrim Center. Exit Rte 31 at the Antrim Grange and proceed up Meeting House Hill. The cemetery is on the left. Remember the road is a public way but is no longer maintained by the town. In the 1820’s when this was nearing full occupancy three more cemeteries were established.
Center Cemetery and North Branch Cemetery: These were tied to a nearby church. By 1820 the center of activity in town shifted from the top of Meeting House Hill to Antrim Center. Probably people were tired of going up the hill to attend church and do the town’s business. A new church and parsonage were constructed in Antrim Center; this church was demolished in the late 1800’s, but the parsonage is still present. A cemetery was constructed across the road from the parsonage. It was used until the late 1800’s. Visit this cemetery by staying on Rte 31 at the Antrim Grange; across the road from the third house on your right past the Grange.
The cemetery in North Branch is still active to a limited extent. Until recently it was controlled by its own trustees. It was referred to as “a public-private cemetery”. This means anyone could be buried there but the Town had no control over it and did not contribute to its maintenance. Recently, however that has changed with the trustees coming under the town umbrella. You can find this cemetery by going on Rte 31 to North Branch, It is on Cemetery Road (which is the last left before reaching Rte 9).
Over East Cemetery: This was created to accompany a church (no longer present) located near the site. There may be people who lived in Deering buried here. When the Over East Cemetery was operating residents in East Antrim had a relationship with many residents of Deering (now North Bennington) You can visit this cemetery by going north on Rte 202 from Antrim Village to Elm Ave. The present exit to Elm Ave is actually on the south side of the cemetery. Once on Elm Ave take the first right (about 500 feet) which is the original Elm Ave.
Maplewood Cemetery: This is Antrim’s largest active cemetery, officially opened in 1861 and is located on Rte 202 just north of Antrim Village. By this time in Antrim’s history the center of the town’s activity was moving to what is now Antrim Village. Maplewood is also a (public-private cemetery) with its own trustees.
Whittemore Family Cemetery: The last cemetery is a family cemetery. Located on Rte 202 it sits on the Antrim-Hillsboro town line. It is the burying site of the Whittemore family who lived on the farm nearby.
Learn More: For more on Antrim’s cemeteries and early history read 'History of the Town of Antrim, New Hampshire, from its earliest settlement, to June 27, 1877' by Reverend W. R. Cochrane.
'Parades and Promenades: Antrim, New Hampshire, The Second Hundred Years.' The Town of Antrim website has name, row and plot # for Meeting House Hill, Centre and Over East cemeteries.